Ease of preparation
- 1 pound (600 g) x 5-ounce lamb neck fillet, all visible fat removed, cut into 1-inch (3 cm) chunks
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) canola oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) mustard oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) dry fenugreek leaves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 mace flowers
- 5 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 4 whole nutmeg seeds, crushed
- 4 cloves
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 thumb-sized piece ginger, peeled and finely grated
- ½ cup (100 g) fat-free natural yogurt
Rogan josh sauce
- 6 tablespoons (90 ml) cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped with stem included
- 1 red chili, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) black peppercorns, roughly ground
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) saffron
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) rose essence
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon (1 ml) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) coriander cumin powder
- 2 cups (480 ml) warm water
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) tomato purée
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Julienned ginger
For the marinade
- Add canola oil, mustard oil, dry fenugreek leaves, cinnamon sticks, mace flowers, cardamom pods, bay leaves, crushed nutmeg, cloves, onion, garlic, and ginger to a food processor. Blitz until the mixture becomes a paste.
- Add paste to yogurt and stir.
- Cover the lamb with the mixture, then refrigerate for 2 hours, until the lamb gets tender.
For the rogan josh sauce
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, then add onion and sauté until golden brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes slowly, stirring as you do. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the coriander, red chili, ground peppercorns, chili powder, saffron, rose essence, garam masala, salt, coriander cumin powder and stir together, then cook for another 10 minutes.
For the lamb
- Add lamb to the saucepan with the rogan josh sauce then sauté for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the tomato purée and stir.
- Add the warm water, cover with a lid, and simmer for 40-50 minutes, until cooked through.
Serve garnished with fresh coriander leaves and julienned ginger.