6 candy apples
Ease of preparation
- 6 Granny Smith apples, cleaned and dried
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- 3 cups (720 ml) sugar
- ½ cup (120 ml) light corn syrup
- Black gel food colouring
- Blue gel food colouring
- Silver edible dust, to decorate
- White gel food colouring
- 6 lollipop sticks
- Candy thermometer
- Remove stems and insert lollipop stick through the top of the apple core, ensuring a firm handle.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Slide a candy thermometer onto the side of a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add water, sugar, and light corn syrup to the saucepan and cook over high heat until the mixture reaches 300 F (150 C) (hard-ball stage).
- Remove saucepan from heat. Add black and blue food colouring and stir in. Add silver edible dust and stir. Add a few drops of white gel food colouring (do not stir to combine at this point).
- Hold the pot of liquid on an angle and carefully, with a firm grip on the handle, put in an apple and swirl to ensure a full coating of candy. Hold for a few seconds, upside down, to allow excess candy to drip back into the pot.
- Place coated apple, handle side up, on a parchment covered baking sheet.
- Repeat for all apples.
- Allow apples to set for a few minutes before dusting with more edible glitter dust.